Allegiance

Today I started my day like any other Thursday, with my hand on my heart.
      "I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America..."  I started to roughly calculate how many times I've recited this vow in just the last 8 years, I think somewhere conservatively around 1,400. As I grow older and more nostalgic, saying The Pledge of Allegiance has certainly changed for me. I looked up Allegiance when I got home: Fidelity, Loyalty, and Devotion were a few of the words which stood out to me. How many times have those words been spoken because we had to say it? How many times have any one of us demonstrated those words for our country? Why have I waited so long to care? I recently heard something that someone said which resonates in my mind, "Become one or become none." .....ONE nation under God with liberty and justice for all. It's so easy to point the finger at someone else for our Country's current problems, but let's start at home and work our way out. Only then will a change mean anything to us personally.

Comments