The Depot Skating Rink~romancing my soul...

     A few weeks ago, I was surfing the web for a writers group in my area. To my delight, I found something called "meet up." Not only did I find my writers group, who by the way are fabulous people, but I found a whole new world of modern day get togethers, with people like me...seeking other people, in a no~stress environment to socialize with, to learn from, connect with and laugh with. There are meet up groups for any interest you might have. What I loved the most about this concept was how it brought people together, I might otherwise never meet. I instantly recuited my best friend, co~pilot, my go to girl, my rock, my beacon and the only person who would feel obligated to go with me on yet another crazy adventure!
     This meet up was at The Depot, located in downtown Minneapolis. A historic train shed converted into an indoor skating rink with so much charm it feels as serendipitious as walking into the closet in "The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe." Going to Minneapolis at night is breathtaking and awe inspiring with the lights, the sky line, and the overall excitement in the air. I wish I had brought my camera and more so than that, I wish I had a dollar for every time I said, "I wish I had brought my camera."
     The people in the group were great, the men and the women alike. At first it was a little intimidating, but within minutes people introduced themselves and we started talking like old friends. Our evening started with a social hour. Many of us hadn't skated in ten years or more and some never skated at all. My legs were shaking when my blades sliced their way through the ice. I looked like a fawn trying out my legs for the first time. A man I met earlier came to my rescue and offered his arm...I'm pretty positive this night couldn't have been filled with anymore charm...in a clumsy, magical way. There's a very good reason The Depot is listed as one of the most romantic places in Minneapolis. http://romanticplaces.tumblr.com/post/690658552/86-the-depot-skating-rink-mpls-us

Comments